Saturday, November 22, 2008

Jet Boil Stove Review


Jetboil Personal Camp Stove Review

The PCS utilizes 1 liter insulated aluminum cooking cup, extremely efficient burner base with a built-in igniter. The Jetboil packs well in that all components, including fuel, packed easily within the cooking cup, with the entire size being about the same as a nalgene bottle. At 15 ounces, it is a little heavier than some of the other stoves, but I will trade the few extra ounces for its efficiency and storeablity.

If you have followed my blob you know I prefer simple, lightweight, and efficient equipment which is exactly what the Jetboil stove delivers. I have been using my Jetboil for about three years now and and carry it along for most of my overnight hiking trips. I can have water boiling in about two minutes in most any condition. I have never had a malfunction, but I do know others that have had problems with the ignitor (you should have a lighter or matches with you anyway).

My routine is simple, coffee in the morning, nice prepared dehydrated meal in the evening, and green tea before dinner. The Jetboil fits my routine perfectly.

Tips - Some people place the lid on the cup so the water will boil faster. I find it dangerous to unseal the lid so I just place it loosely on top. I believe that is the intended use anyway, but I have seen others make this mistake.

Limitations - If you want to make pancakes, saute, etc then the Personal Cook System is probably not for you. Jetboil has released the group cooking system which I plan to purchase and try soon. I will add a review of the group cooking system at that time.

You can click here to visit the Jetboil Store if you are interest in shopping for any of these items.

If any of you have used the group cooking system please comment with your thoughts. Any suggestions or tips you would like to share would be appreciated.

No comments: